Friday, September 6, 2013

Stormy Sochi - The first post in my "Oh Russia! TGIF" series

This is my first weekly post in my "Oh Russia! TGIF" series. Every Friday I will post something that we experienced that was unusual, or something we caught on film that we would only see in Russia. I hope you enjoy it!!

This week we have had crazy thunder and lightning storms along with buckets and buckets of rain. We were not in Sochi in early September last year so I am not sure this is normal. This weather sure feels like winter to me. The drainage system in Sochi is poor - almost non-existent. On Tuesday, I took Rocket outside for his early morning relief (he gets an extra early one since he is still so young). He first looked at me like I was crazy. Then, once he realized the sky was falling, he freaked out - bouncing and flouncing all over the place. We then literally waded down the street so we could get to our usual spot. A couple of hours later, I took the girls out. There was still so much water flooding the streets that they were almost swimming down the street with their little legs. This storm is supposed to continue through Sunday. Oy! 

Check out the pics and videos that we took. Oh Russia! TGIF!!!

This man is trying to clear the blockage in the manhole cover. 
Later that day, we actually drove into that manhole!
Luckily, we just hit the edge and bounced out.



The garages under our building flood like crazy.

Video: The girls, Rocket and I wading through the flooded streets.

Video: Mark's drive to work

4 comments:

Krissy said...

A Few things:
1) I love your boots
2) The girls are troopers for getting out there...Patch would have told me to shove it
3) I ADORE Rocket and want you to keep him.

Love you!

Mom said...

Krissy said EXACTLY what I was gonna say...except I don't have Patch.

Oh, your life!! Such a story !! Glad your back to sharing.

Love You!

Kaylee said...

I love the boots too! while I was reading the post I was actually trying to remember if you had ever found rainboots! Love the post!

Marlen said...

Yeah, a new story every Friday! Loving it!
By the way, Moscow streets look similar these days.