Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Metro Challenge

Having to get around on public transit has always been appealing to me. Once I learned that many of the Moscow Metro stations are designed by artists,  I gave myself a challenge: Visit and photograph EVERY metro station in Moscow.

I have been constantly looking online for things we need to experience in the city and I stumbled across this from www.essortment.com:

"The Moscow Metro is unlike any other metro system in the world. Stalin believed that instead of providing decent housing for all of the citizens of the USSR, it was better to build less living accommodations and more "palaces of the people". These "palaces" were public buildings, monuments, and parks that were architecturally impressive and decorated top to bottom in pro-soviet images and were meant to serve as a matter of pride and enjoyment for the Soviet citizens. The metro is one of the finest examples of this theory.
The downtown stations are filled with valuable artworks such as murals, statues and mosaics as well as crystal chandeliers and marble archways and benches. Each station was designed by a prominent Soviet architect or artist. It is said that much of the marble used in the metro systems were lifted from churches that the soviet government demolished. In fact, the famous, and now re-built Cathedral of Christ the Savior, provided marble and decorative elements for several of the stations".

Needless to say, this intrigued me even more with the Moscow Metro.

I have been on the metro quite a few times now and the artwork and "palaces" are not at every station, however I still plan on seeing my challenge through...EVERY station!!! Wish me luck and stay tuned...

No comments: